Much of Marshall's living history stands in The Old Salem House building, which was constructed in 1771 as the meetinghouse of the Upper Carter's Baptist church. Yet it served as the center of activity in the region. It is the only remaining colonial church building in all of Fauquier County. In about 1809 the church faded and became a school and continued as a semi-private institution until 1871, when free public schools opened up in Virginia. The building, which went through several additions, continued to serve as a public elementary school until 1909. Several other notable organizations had their start in the building as well, and even the organizational meetings of the Manassas Gap Railroad were held there.
Fauquier County is a gorgeous place to live. It offers museums, beautiful rolling hills, spas, sixteen area wineries and vineyards, and traditional and boutique farm tours. Residents enjoy many outdoor activities including trails and bicycling, hiking and horseback riding, canoeing, and fishing. It is an excellent combination of sophistication and pristine countryside and small-town feel.
Your Local Real Estate Expert Specializing in Marshall, Virginia